React - how do you guys feel?

Do not post on-topic discussions here. Well you can if you really want to.

Moderators: naturally, ezraanderson

React - how do you guys feel?

Postby ibisum » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:10 pm

So how do you guys feel about the recent news about React?

http://engineering.flipboard.com/2015/02/mobile-web/
(See also: https://github.com/flipboard/react-canvas)

The more I see these new-fangled Javascript-based frameworks, gradually making their way to the Canvas, the more I think there's a lot to be said for how *under-promoted* MOAI is in this context. On the one hand - React Native. On the other hand - MOAI + Hanappe.

What is your take on the whole scenario? Time soon to consider retiring MOAI and adopting the React religion? Push MOAI into the same competitive space, somehow?
;
--
Email: ibisum@gmail.com
IRC: torpor on FreeNode, see you in the #moai channel
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Re: React - how do you guys feel?

Postby Vavius » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:35 pm

In my opinion they belong to different markets. MOAI is for games, react is for native Apps. Hanappe widgets can't compete with UIKit in terms of features and usability.

Whole set of bindings for native Gui? Maybe. I saw such thing in marmalade, but it was deprecated long ago. Also it means no more "write once, run everywhere".

People are lazy in learning new technologies/languages. Web developers will look for js-based crossplatform tools (or if they want to make games then Unity3d), as3/flash devs will go with haxe.

For me, MOAI is still the best in it's niche of 2d crossplatform game engines. But a little bit of promotion won't hurt. We can try to attract more Corona SDK devs.
Vavius

Postby Bartho » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:13 am

React seems to be made for user interfaces. Vavius is right.

As a beginner in Moai, I really enjoy using it but my firsts steps have been difficult, even to get a sample working on my laptop (I am a noob sometimes). Anyway I manage to learn new things day after days, and this forum is reaaally usefull.
I have chosen Moai after a lot of research on what to use to make a cross plateform game, because it is free and it seemed pretty good (I still think it's a good choice)

The little drawback is that it seems obscure for someone who isn't confortable with exploring by himself, it could seem a bit tricky. Anyway it is our duty, (we, Moai users) to speak about it to our friends (at least). When speaking about your project it could be a good idea to quickly present Moai.
When the new website will be here it could be the right time to do our best to promote Moai
Bartho

Postby Bartho » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 am

And now what about Unity and Unreal Engine 4 becoming "free"? I never used such tools, what do you think about that?
Bartho

Postby ibisum » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:58 am

I downloaded Unreal Engine to take a look, and Unity too a little later .. and yeah they seem like very powerful tools that could be great for the game-making community. But its like the standard developer-mindset war: the cognitive load is so very high for all of these tools, who has the time to play with them all long enough to learn them? You have to be in a good position to be able to take on such a load, I think, so its a bit like we're all going to be asked to make that decision now that things are free, or end up competing with all the students who do have the time.

For 2D, I'll stick with MOAI - its just too elegant a toolkit for GUI development, in my opinion, to bother with anything else. But for 3D stuff, I'm pretty sure that UE is going to be what I'm mostly interested in .. the toolset is very easy to pick up and set down again ..
;
--
Email: ibisum@gmail.com
IRC: torpor on FreeNode, see you in the #moai channel
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Postby naturally » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:45 am

This is sure to alienate some but avoid Unity even if it is free. The benefit of MOAI isn't just the features but the opensource nature. In my case this allows me to develop on Linux, and there are other arguments to be made. To me the best 2D engines are: MOAI, Godot, Love2D, OpenFL, and Cocos2DX. None of these carry the baggage of being tied to a platform or having a potential approval/denial process.

Unreal is more interesting because it is close to being opensource (technically it is?) and I was reading that the editor is either working on Linux or very close. Unreal I think is a good candidate for a 3D game, of course there are some others like Irrlicht.

Not everyone will share the same needs in an engine but I encourage people to use those that aren't tied down to a commercial operating system. For great justice.
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Postby Vavius » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 am

naturally wrote:Unreal is more interesting because it is close to being opensource (technically it is?)
It is open source. Engine + editor is available on github. I haven't tried building it myself, but there are docs on how to build it on linux.

Huge codebase. I heard that UE3 source was a mess, but UE4 is a massive rewrite and is much cleaner.
Vavius

Postby naturally » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:27 am

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Also to note, the Unity web player (browser plugin) does not work on Linux. +1 for MOAI
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Postby halfnelson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm

unity 5 builds to html5 via emscripten, so no need for unity player which means linux can work.
halfnelson

Postby lindseynicole010 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:10 am

With propelling innovation, these little security gadgets have turned out to be modest and generally accessible to buyers for use in an assortment of circumstances. A claim to fame home surveillance camera is commonly very minor and might be connected to a screen with remote innovation. Because of the constant headways in innovation, the expenses of a wide range of reconnaissance cameras appear to dropping all the time. Divider tickers, stereo speakers and smoke indicators would all be able to house small shrouded observation cameras. There are numerous sorts of reconnaissance cameras, for example, vault cameras, shrouded cameras, smoke identifying cameras, and "brilliant" cameras that are furnished with movement finders. A buy of a computerized video recorder or home surveillance camera framework can be to a great degree troublesome with all the government operative cameras and determinations for reconnaissance cameras accessible nowadays. When you search for a reconnaissance framework for home utilize, search for a framework that incorporates such rewards as clocks for your lights and movement sensors to run with the remote camera, a manual for video observation gear, CCTV cameras and remote security frameworks for home and business. Alongside surveillance cameras and gadgets to view and record camera pictures, different bits of reconnaissance gear might be important to finish a video security service.
Thanks& regards,
Lindsey Nicole
Security Cameras Toronto | Security Cameras Vancouver
lindseynicole010

Return to Off Topic