GUI framework?

New to Moai? Get started here with our best tips and tutorials.

Moderators: ezraanderson, DanielWolf

GUI framework?

Postby veli » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:25 am

I want to add a gui to my game. I need basic components, such as dialog window, label, edit box, button and checkbox. Preferably rendered from 9-patch bitmaps.

I was searching around and found Lua-based GUI system in samples-legacy (abandoned?), Hanappe's GUI system (I don't use it Hanappe) and tommo's effort to integrate C-based generic GUI into MOAI. Is there anything else out there working with current dev version of Moai?
veli

Re: GUI framework?

Postby Vavius » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:27 am

Check flower. It's in the same repo with hanappe https://github.com/makotok/Hanappe/tree/master/projects
I think it works with current moai and is pretty awesome.
Vavius

Postby ibisum » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Hanappe is also awesome, and also works with current MOAI. Its maybe a bit more load, but I find the layout of the code a bit more navigable .. plus, there are ways to push Hanappe much further than Flower, if you want to (for example), derive new GUI types/classes from the existing repertoire. Note that there is a *lot* you can do in Hanappe under the covers - use the Scrollers, build view prototypes, do React-like prop updates that propagate, and so on.

Flower, I think, is intended for rapid and simple GUI development. You'd be wise to give yourself time to do a test project with both libraries and see which one will fit your case - in my case, I've used Hanappe for a lot of 'non-Game' like applications, which smoothly look and operate precisely the same across all of our supported platforms, so I'm quite eager/able to help you if you have questions, etc. And if you do use Flower, probably I'll learn a lot from it too, because I've been ignoring it in favor of my already-well-worn Hanappe sub-project..

EDIT: don't forget moaigui! It is also worth the effort of a test project, because it may have better controls (e.g. radio-buttons) for what you're making .. different event/abstraction layer than Hanappe/Flower, however.
;
--
Email: ibisum@gmail.com
IRC: torpor on FreeNode, see you in the #moai channel
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Postby Hvatetew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks a lot for sharing. You have done a brilliant job. Your article is truly relevant to my study at this moment, and I am really happy I discovered your website.
myhr.cvs.com
Hvatetew

Return to Questions and Tips