1.7 Building From Command Line

New to Moai? Get started here with our best tips and tutorials.

Moderators: ezraanderson, DanielWolf

1.7 Building From Command Line

Postby naturally » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:25 am

Hello! Have downloaded:

https://github.com/fallguyconsulting/moai-dev

I'm guessing this is the latest version (1.7).
Notice there are no build scripts in ./bin now.

How do we build this branch?

8-)
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Re: 1.7 Building From Command Line

Postby naturally » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 am

Well I jumped back to the standard repo: https://github.com/moai/moai-dev

I've got that building fine. I'm still curious about Patrick's tho, it looks like it needs some command called "pito" to build the hosts via lua files? Not sure what Pito is, also it is looking for some global variables for directories.
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Re: 1.7 Building From Command Line

Postby ibisum » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:58 am

pito is a tool for setting up a new MOAI-based project for the supported platforms - sort of a host-project-generator/-builder that was intended to be used to automate the host creation and creation of distributables (.apk/.ipa/.exe/.app/bins, etc.)

It hasn't survived the 1.7 -> 1.8 -> 2.0 sweep by the core developers, who prefer to have a custom host sub-directory/module (there was even talk of splitting the hosts off into a separate repo at some point) for their work, as it makes it easier to add new features to the host this way (for core development of MOAI features).

pito, in the 1.7 branch at least, served the useful function of helping newcomers to MOAI set up iOS/Android/whatever projects, buildable and complete from a single moai repo, for their apps. Its still there in the 1.7 stable branch (be sure to get the pito-fixes branch merged too, tho')

I would love to have pito back, personally - when doing multiple MOAI projects, its rather a drag to have to hand-maintain multiple host sub-projects for each app, and a lot more fun to work on MOAI projects with pito around since it allows/allowed one to 'refresh' the host projects easily enough, after a MOAI core update. Anyway, that was the goal, and for a little while it worked.

In its current form, it appears to be borked, and I have reverted to just copying the xcode/ and android-host/ project folders for my own use, while also doing the macOS build manually, copying the moai bin into an .app bundle manually, and so on .. this is all a bunch of bollocks, and I want pito back. So, whenever I manage to get 1.8 working in my environment, I'll try to work on that a bit.
;
--
Email: ibisum@gmail.com
IRC: torpor on FreeNode, see you in the #moai channel
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Return to Questions and Tips