Kek: The dev journal

A place for developers to promote games they have created with Moai.

Moderator: ezraanderson

Kek: The dev journal

Postby PeqNP » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 pm

As suggested, I'm going to create a thread dedicated to a game I'm developing, currently called 'Kek'. The final name is not known.

Kek is a 2D, top-down horror survival game with dank memes thrown in for comedy relief.

Here are posts I have created specifically for this game to provide a TL of the progress (Latest is top to bottom). I'll update this as I continue to solve issues.
- cameras-and-more-cameras-t3312/
- tiled-w-multiple-tilesets-t3305/
- tilemap-lighting-t3308/

Here is the YouTube channel where I'll periodically post vlogs of the progress, as requested by the illustrator, Shayne Smith: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgRGw2 ... zQhZz2J6hA

Our plan is to have an engine completed by the end of February 2017. By that time much of the assets for the first few levels will be complete. We plan to run a Kickstarter at the point to gauge interest and advertise the game.

I hope you enjoy the ride.

Alright, back to work for me!
PeqNP

Re: Kek: The dev journal

Postby ezraanderson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:35 am

~
Looking snazzy keep us posted :)
Dead Dark: A roguelike, zombie apocalypse survival game
My Website | My Facebook | My Twitter | My Games on Itunes | My Games on Android
ezraanderson

Postby naturally » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Interesting - I like to follow politics (all sides) and so read the_donald from time to time, I might get some of the jokes...

Are you using a shader for your flashlight?
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Postby PeqNP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Are you using a shader for your flashlight?

Yes, sir.

Politics aside :p I believe everyone on both sides will find the story interesting. We expect to surprise and dazzle as large of an audience as possible LOL

The mythology surrounding Kek is actually quite fascinating: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kek_(mythology)
PeqNP

Postby PeqNP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm going to summarize the latest issue I ran up against. In larger maps, I saw that lines were being drawn between tiles. It would either be the clear color (the background color) behind the tile, or a color of another layer beneath the top layer being rendered. For instance, I had a layer that contained orange trees and a layer beneath with green grass. In that case I would see green between the tiles of the trees.

Essentially, I needed to sew up the seams between tiles when tiles are rendered on a pixel boundary. I was able to fix this by bleeding the edges of the tiles. This forum post contains a script that bleeds your tile sets by 1 pixel on every side: white-lines-rendering-between-tilemap-borders-t502

If you're using Tiled it is not necessary to remove your tile set. You do this, and you run the risk of the gids being offset incorrectly. Instead, open the myfile.tmx with a text editor and add 'spacing="2" margin="1"' in the 'tileset' element. Also, update the size of your image, if necessary, in the 'image' element. Most likely you will need to increase the size of your image to accommodate the extra pixels caused by the bleed.
PeqNP

Postby PeqNP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Loading Levels:

This is how I am loading new levels, and unloading the previous.

As a forward, THIS MAY NOT BE THE BEST WAY. I will update this article after I learn some better sandboxing techniques. Layers, decks, etc. I may be holding onto references, which I shouldn't be, within a closure, coroutine, etc.

1.) If a previous main layer exists, use
Code: Select all
  1. MOAISim.popRenderPass()

and set it to nil.
2.) If a previous world exists, stop the MOAIBox2DWorld animation using
  1. myWorld:stop()

3.) Garbage collect using
  1. MOAISim.forceGC()

4.) Re-create the main layer, the layer that all layers are added to, when loading the next level and
  1. MOAISim.pushRenderPass(mainLayer)

There is a bug, that I believe is effecting me in v1.7.5, which required that I clear all of the textures from decks. I did this by tracking all instances of MOAIBatchMaterial (all deck types) and then calling
  1. myDeck:reserveMaterials(0)

. reserveMaterials is a method exposed to Lua which will clear all previously held textures from the deck

I used MOAISim.getMemoryUsage() to profile the memory. There are several keys associated to this table. The ones that I used are 'total', 'lua' and 'texture'. I was able to determine whether the texture memory was being unloaded successfully using this technique.

Again, this may not be the best way to do it. Once I understand the issue better I'll provide another post.
PeqNP

Postby PeqNP » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:57 pm

A quick update which includes some of the latest features we have added including: surface materials, lighting control and particle effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82r80GV ... e=youtu.be
PeqNP

Postby naturally » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 pm

This is looking great! Thanks for the updates.

What version of Moai are you using?
Image - Don't Be Patchman - a sneak-and-grow adventure!
naturally

Return to Made With Moai