What is the best way to monetize an app

Social Media Widgets / In-App Purchases / HTTP

Moderators: ezraanderson, scottwb

What is the best way to monetize an app

Postby ezraanderson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:43 pm

~
So I have been researching the best way to monetize an app/game, and I have been polling some forum members.

Which in-game-ad system do you recommend for monetizing your app?

scottwb:
We use chartboost and nothing else now - it supports iOS, Android AND kindle.

joshua_jandyco:
Vungle and Playhaven rate well, skyrocket is cool because it has adapters for all different providers, so you can have one interface for multiple ad networks but apple just bought out Burstly so that's questionable

edit: http://www.macnn.com/articles/14/03/14/ ... .into.iad/

btatarov:
There is no best option when comes to advertising :)) For example I'm making more money on Razy Raccoon from providers that performed really bad on Mahjong Skies.

I prefer ChartBoost for iOS (seems like it performs the best on that platform). iAds is disappointing for a lot of people but there are others that like it. I personally never used it because they need additional paperwork that I see little point preparing given the fact that it's not the best ad network. Other than that I use AdMob (from Google), RevMob, AppFlood and HeyZap but they all perform poorly compared to ChartBoost. Maybe AdMob is okay but the rest are crap.

Google Play is another topic, I use exit ads that are provided from StartApp. They perform really well. Problem is they may get banned after the recent policy changes so be careful with that. Other providers I use are the same that I mentioned for iOS. I also tried Playhaven but it performs really bad.

My favourite is Vungle for both platforms but you can't just play video ads between levels/death all the time because it makes the user angry and your rating will slowly go down. The best way is to give the user the ability to choose if/when to watch a video ad and receive small award for it. AdColony is a good fallback if Vungle runs out of ads and the user wants to watch more.

This is by far my experience with ads. I'm yet to try banner ads and "more games" buttons (called app walls). I only use video ads and interstitials. If you choose to use any of the mentioned providers to show interstitials or video ads you can always ping me and I'll share my code. I'll be happy if someone can modify my modules and integrate them with the recent changes as I really don't have the time.
Last edited by ezraanderson on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dead Dark: A roguelike, zombie apocalypse survival game
My Website | My Facebook | My Twitter | My Games on Itunes | My Games on Android
ezraanderson

Re: What is the best way to monetize an app

Postby ezraanderson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:46 pm

~
I have been porting a couple of apps in to MOAI and have decided to try Chartboost to monetize them.

If anybody else has any suggestions on the best approach to monetizing an app, please post :)
Dead Dark: A roguelike, zombie apocalypse survival game
My Website | My Facebook | My Twitter | My Games on Itunes | My Games on Android
ezraanderson

Postby molul » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:29 am

Sorry about the noobie question but, when you say "I use <this service>", what do you mean? I mean, do you build libraries that integrates that service into Moai? If so, is it very difficult? Is there any link I could take a look at to start?

I have a finished small puzzle game and I'd like to publish a free-with-ads version and a cheap ad-free version on Android as a test (to see if I might set up a game dev company with some friends), but I'm clueless about how to achieve it. The idea would be to just show a banner at the top of the screen which would give me revenue for both loading and clicking the adverts (or only clicking, if that's the only option), but I've read a bit about Tapjoy integration and it looks like it's just an ingame currency manager (I might be wrong), and I'm a bit lost about what's being talked about in this topic.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I could just publish a cheap ads-free version, but I believe that free-with-ads versions work much better on Google Play.
molul

Postby btatarov » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:30 am

molul wrote:Sorry about the noobie question but, when you say "I use <this service>", what do you mean? I mean, do you build libraries that integrates that service into Moai? If so, is it very difficult? Is there any link I could take a look at to start?

Yes, we do integrate the services in Moai by ourselves. It's really easy, to be honest. You can check the Chartboost integration. I also wrote somewhere in the forums how to integrate it in more details.

See these examples:
https://github.com/moai/moai-dev/blob/m ... oostIOS.mm
https://github.com/moai/moai-dev/blob/m ... ndroid.cpp
https://github.com/moai/moai-dev/blob/m ... Boost.java

Also read this thread:
quick-howto-t2480/

As far as banners go, I think AdMob is a good service. That's what Flappy Bird used if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck!
Unwind... rewind...
btatarov

Postby molul » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks a lot. Let's see... If I was to use ChartBoost, from the first three files, taking into account that I'm only doing this on Android (PC versions wouldn't have ads), do I only need MoaiChartBoost.java? If so, I guess I have to copy that file to ant/host-source/source/project/src/moai/chartboost/ and rebuild my Moai Android host. Would that be right?

But, if I wanted to use AdMob, where should I start? I mean, is there like a group of standard functions I could write, like the ones in MoaiChartBoost.java, or would I have to search for some AdMob SDK reference to see what to use in the library?

I hope I'm not abusing asking about this. This is something I've never done and the first step (getting the basics about ad servers integration) is being a bit difficult. May I ask how did you learn to integrate these services?
molul

Postby btatarov » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:03 am

I'm not very familiar with the new build system in Moai so I can't give you a step-by-step guide on this but I can point you in the right direction. You need something like MOAIAdMobAndroid.cpp and MOAIAdMobAndroid.h in your src/moai-android/ directory. These are just C++ files that work like a "glue" between Lua and your Java implementation. For example if you have something like MOAIAdMobAndroid.showBanner() in Lua this will go to MOAIAdMobAndroid::_showBanner (for example) and that method should use something called Java Native Interface (JNI for short) to use your Java implementation (so you need MoaiAdMob.java file in your ant/host-source/project/src/admob/ for example). You will also need the AdMob SDK integrated (the jar files) but I'm not sure if this comes with Google Play Game Services now. Also you need to edit Moai.java to include the class in the sExternalClasses variable. Finally you need to edit ant/libmoai/jni/src/moai.cpp to register your MOAIAdMobAndroid class so you can use it in Lua. The final step is to integrate all this with the build system but I'm not sure how to do it. You may also need to declare manifest_permissions.xml and manifest_declarations.xml.

It's a long and tedious process but after the first time it's mostly copy/paste and muscle memory. Hopefully somebody with more experience in the new build system will chime in and contribute to the topic. Your best bet is to use Sublime Text or some other editor that can search recursively in all files. Just look for "chartboost" and copy that implementation.
Unwind... rewind...
btatarov

Postby molul » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Well, I gotta take it as a challenge :) Thank you very much. I understand the theory now, and with the previous example I think I can at least go through the process until the building part. Then I will come back and bore you with doubts :mrgreen:

Thanks again!
molul

Postby Vavius » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 am

The best way to monetize an app is to integrate more ad frameworks. Your ads won't run out early.

We are using these:
  • Chartboost
  • AdColony
  • Playhaven
  • InMobi
  • FlurryAds

Most profitable are chartboost, adcolony and inmobi. I don't like the look of playhaven and flurry.

They generate different numbers based on what apps are currently promoted. For example, when Supercell is rotating their ads, you'll huge revenue boost =)

I've made a lua wrapper for ads rotation: https://github.com/Vavius/moai-framewor ... c/3rdparty
It depends on some things from my framework - util.lua (class implementation from flower, table extensions) and Mock.lua (table that log accesses to it - useful to test logic when some MOAI classes aren't available).

Features:
1) initializes all given ad sdk
2) try to cache all ads
3) when asked to show an ad - it will show random one from ready list (you can specify random weights)
4) also have the ability to stop and resume animation and sound (also depends on my framework)

Maybe someone could adapt it to work with plain MOAI, or flower/hanappe
Vavius

Postby molul » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Sorry for the delay and thanks a lot for the hints, Vavius. I'm currently finishing the PC build of my game, and once I'm done, I'll focus on Android and try those ad frameworks (I can add AdMob later, after the game is released). I'll let you know my progress.
molul

Postby davek2 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 pm

davek2

Postby Salza » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 pm

morlul wrote:Sorry for the delay and thanks a lot for the http://www.danpeek.com/semenax-review-results Semenax hints, Vavius. I'm currently finishing the PC build of my game, and once I'm done, I'll focus on Android and try those ad frameworks (I can add AdMob later, after the game is released). I'll let you know my progress.

What do you guys think of Google's way of monetizing apps? Would be great is someone did a test of all the monetization platforms to see which one makes the most money.
Last edited by Salza on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Salza

Postby btatarov » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:52 am

You need to experiment with different providers to see what works for your game. Chartboost and Heyzap interstitials should do the trick for almost any project, AdMob is perfect for banners and Vungle performs just fine for video ads. Then there are also incentivized ads, in-house cross-promotion ads, IAP ads, etc, etc... It's a huge topic and, talking from experience, it's much more important how/where you implement them than which provider you use.
Unwind... rewind...
btatarov

Return to Advertising + Networking + IAPs