New Tools for Moai

New to Moai? Get started here with our best tips and tutorials.

Moderator: DanielWolf

Which tool are you most interested in?

CIDER IDE
68%
Profiler
27%
AutoLAN
No votes
Ultimote
5%

Total votes : 22

New Tools for Moai

Postby mydevelopergames » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Hello Moai Community,

First we would like to introduce ourselves. We are M.Y. Developers and we have been developing various tools for the Corona® SDK. Given that both Moai and Corona use Lua, we can port our tools to Moai if developers are interested.

Some of our tools include:

CIDER: An IDE with a fully featured visual debugger. Comes complete with breakpoints, callstacks, variable inspector, and advanced IDE features such as auto-complete, integrated documentation, code folding, simulation remote, svn/git integration and more. We have already began porting CIDER over to Moai and here is a screenshot of it working below:

Profiler: Finds performance hotspots in your code down to the exact line. Also can detect memory leaks and point you to the exact lua table(s) causing them. Invaluable tool for speeding up your code both during development and update phases of your app.

AutoLAN: A library built on top of Lua sockets that makes it very easy to connect devices over LAN. You can set up a client and server in just a few lines of code and they will discover and connect to each other automatically. Now AutoLAN can also be used to connect devices over the internet as well (in beta test).

Ultimote: Send device only events such as accelerometer/multitouch directly to the simulator. Allows you to debug these event handlers in the simulator vastly speeding up your code iteration time.

If you want more information please visit our website:
http://www.mydevelopersgames.com/site/

Thanks,
M.Y. Developers
mydevelopergames

Re: New Tools for Moai

Postby robin.baumgarten » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 am

Looks nice, I'd be interested in both the IDE and the Profiler.

Is there any theming support for the IDE? I have come to really like the design of my current setup, which uses Sublime Text 2. A dark theme would be cool.
robin.baumgarten

Postby todd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:26 pm

This is great - thanks for the interest!
todd

Postby ibisum » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:18 am

Looks nice, but most important to me is that CIDER isn't cross-platform, is it? As the team lead for a MOAI group, I have developers on all three platforms - Linux, Mac OSX and Windows - with Linux and MacOSX being the most important (for our team). MOAI itself doesn't have a Linux host for the time being (hopefully that will change) but for sure Linux support is a must-have, for any decent IDE, anyway .. (Right now we're all using Sublime Text2, which is a great editor but not such a great debugger..)
;
--
ibisum@gmail.com
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Postby typeoneerror » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:59 pm

IDE would be amazing (Debugger, et al), but sounds like a lot to ask, especially since it sounds like it's windows-only (not an option for us). as with ibisum, we are also using Sublime Text 2. The profiler and/or a standalone debugger of some sort would be my second choice.
typeoneerror

Postby NoobsArePeople2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd love to have the profiler. The debugger would be next on my list (I'm happy with Sublime Text 2, so the IDE part isn't super important to me). All the other stuff sounds great as well but I can live without those things.
NoobsArePeople2

Postby mydevelopergames » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:51 am

@All,
Thank you for the positive response! We see that many of you are concerned about the look and feel of the IDE. In fact, here is a user-contributed color scheme that looks a lot like sublime:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14373373/Sublime-Screenshot.jpg

@ibisum and typeonerror,
but most important to me is that CIDER isn't cross-platform, is it?

We use the proven Netbeans RCP platform as the core so by design Cider is cross platform for Windows, Linux, Mac, and Solaris. We also plan to extend the Visual VM to provide real time attachable memory and performance profiling as a future add-on. The License is also very flexible, it will allow you to use the IDE for one developer on as many computers as you like ( mac, windows, linux, virtual machines, whatever you like.) We will offer additional licensing options/discounts for teams.

@NoobsArePeople2,
Thanks for your feedback. We will see about getting the profiler out soon.

Thanks,
M.Y. Developers
mydevelopergames

Postby ibisum » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 am

Nice to have the SublimeText2 color scheme already sorted .. ;) Alas, there is more to sublime2 than the colors, though - its a great source navigation system, too.

Anyway, cool that it will support Linux natively. I'll test it as soon as you release a build for Linux, then ..
;
--
ibisum@gmail.com
Got a MOAI snippet? Please consider adding it to http://moaisnippets.info/
ibisum

Postby Sinistersoft » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am

I use Cider on CoronaSDK, having it available for Moai would be great. :)
Sinistersoft

Postby BlueByLiquid » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Any update on Cider for Moai?
BlueByLiquid

Postby zer0wolf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

Bump for this thread. Color me interested in Cider for Moai.
zer0wolf

Postby mydevelopergames » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for your generous support and interest! We are currently in the process of improving our lua editor and making it more general for other SDKs. Once we finish adding our new features, then we will start to write the necessary libraries for Moai. This should be completed in the next few weeks. We will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Regards,
M.Y. Developers
mydevelopergames

Postby BlueByLiquid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm

mydevelopergames wrote:This should be completed in the next few weeks.

Great News!
BlueByLiquid

Postby mydevelopergames » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Hello All,

We are happy to announce that the Lua Glider IDE for MOAI will be available for beta testing in the next few days. Features include:

-Class aware and scope aware autocompletion
-Autocompletion also works between modules and takes module dependencies in account
-Fully featured debugger complete with breakpoints, call stack view, and variable view
-Ability to pause, step in, step out, and step over
-Variables can be set during program execution
-Goto variable/function declaration functionality. Works between files and modules too.
-Advanced navigator pane that shows variables, functions, tables, members, and even inherited fields
-Many more convenience features like code folding, comment scanning for TODOs, git/svn/hg versioning support, and much more.

Please check out our video and website:
http://www.mydevelopersgames.com/CIDER/

Our beta version will be fully unlocked and will contain all the features of the full Glider for MOAI IDE so we will be restricting it to the first 5 developers who email us. We ask that you have a mac and a windows machine so you can help us test cross platform consistency. For your help you will get a free license of Glider for MOAI.

Please email us at mydevelopergames@gmail.com

Regards,
M.Y. Developers
mydevelopergames

Postby BlueByLiquid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Email sent! Excited as I have been trying to make other ides working and they are really incomplete. This is going to be incredible.
BlueByLiquid

Return to Questions and Tips